What is Crépey Skin?
Crepey skin, which can appear almost anywhere on the body, is thin skin that looks like tightly-packed, condensed wrinkles and resembles crepe paper. Generally caused by a breakdown of collagen and elastin, crepey skin tends to look and feel thin, fragile and crinkled.
The most vulnerable areas where crepey skin loves to appear are under the eyes, around the knees, the backs of our upper arms, and the décolletage.
Let’s delve a little deeper into what causes crepey skin and ways we can treat and prevent it.
What Causes Crepey Skin?
Crepey skin is most often found on areas where we naturally have thinner skin. Like we stated above, our under eyes, knees and upper arms are the most prone to turning crepey as we age. It tends to happen as we lose collagen and elastin in our skin, as these are essential in helping to keep our skin supple. As we mature, our skin begins to lose collagen and elastin, most often appearing in people over their mid-40s or so, but it can occur earlier.
One thing to note is that sun exposure is a big culprit when it comes to developing crepey skin. As for the sun, UV rays play a significant role in breaking down collagen in the skin, which can lead to thinner, more wrinkled skin over time.
Other culprits include lack of moisture, unhealthy diets, quick weight loss and not drinking enough water.
Simple Ways to Prevent and Reduce the Appearance of Crepey Skin
We are happy to let you know there are ways to kick crepey skin to the curb, diminishing the appearance of crepey skin already present and also ways to prevent it from forming. A really simple way to prevent crepey skin is to start a skincare routine and stick with it. Let’s take a look:
- For crepey skin on face or neck: From our Refining Facial Scrub and Restorative Facial Treatment to Flaw-Fix Eye Cream and Overnight Facial Plumping Treatment (and more), these are your must-haves for a younger-looking, crepe-free face.
- For the body: We do love to share, especially when it comes to tips and tricks for creating visibly smoother, firmer skin. Make the most of your anti-aging body routine with our Advanced 2-Step Essentials System, made with our exclusive TruFirm ® Complex to give you smoother, firmer-looking skin. The kit is comprised of 2 powerful steps:
- Pre- Treat: The essential first step to reducing the appearance of dry, crépey skin.
- Advanced Body Repair Treatment: A breakthrough visible skin-firming hero, crucial to diminishing the look of dry, crépey skin.
- Head to toe: If you’re looking for the head-to-toe works, check out our Advanced 5-Piece Body + Face System, which hydrates and smooths everything from your neck and face to your arms and legs.
Another way to treat and prevent crepey skin on your body is to start a simple exercise routine. We just so happen to have some insights for you on this topic – not to mention a few easy exercises that anyone can do, no matter your age.
And remember this: If you’ve started to notice crepey skin on areas of your face or body, or you want to prevent it proactively, these are simple and easy ways to get the job done. Just know, you’re not in this alone. Thinning, crepey skin is a common part of the natural aging and maturing process. We’re here to tell you that it doesn’t mean you have to put up with it!